Connecting mining and communities
2017 Premier's Community Excellence Awards in Mining and Energy
Recognising excellence in the delivery of community and social benefits to the minerals, energy resources, extractive industries and associated services sectors
The 2017 awards were presented at the SACOME Together Annual Gala on 26 May 2017 at the Hilton Adelaide.
Excellence in Supporting Communities
- BHP Olympic Dam for its efforts to improve child and adult education in South Australia's north
Excellence in Leadershiop - Women in Resources (Certificate of Commendation)
- BHP Olympic Dam for its work in increasing female representation and helping women to advance their careers
Excellence in Social Inclusion
- Iluka Resources for its enduring commitment to social inclusion and for delivering and developing programs in conjunction with the Far West Coast Native Title Group
- OZ Minerals and the Kokatha Aboriginal Corporation for their mutual and participatory partnership model with both parties having an agreement on how to communicate and work together
On this page
The Premier's Community Excellence Awards in Mining and Energy celebrate the delivery of all aspects of social benefit to the South Australian, local and regional communities by mining and energy resource companies, extractive industries and companies involved in the delivery of services to those sectors.
The South Australian Government has outlined key targets to address community wellbeing and unemployment, economic disadvantage, social participation, employment for people with a disability, leadership opportunities for women and for the continuous improvement of environmental sustainability. Through this, it aims to ensure that the Government's Economic Priorities are met through unlocking the full potential of South Australia's resources, energy and renewable assets; and that current and future generations share in the economic and social opportunities generated by the mining, energy resource and extractive industries, and associated services sectors operating in the state.
The Premier of South Australia has sought to recognise the contribution of those sectors through the Premier's Community Excellence Awards in Mining and Energy.
The following awards were offered in 2017:
- Award for Excellence in Social Inclusion
- Award for Excellence in Supporting Communities
- Award for Excellence in Leadership - Women in Resources
Who is eligible to apply?
Any company or business that operates in South Australia's Minerals, Energy Resources or Extractive Industries sectors as well as any company or business that provides services to those sectors is eligible to apply, regardless of whether they are a wholly or partly owned Australian company or business, or an international entity. The key criterion is that the company or business operates in South Australia and can demonstrate excellence in one or more of the categories listed above.
Why should a company apply?
The winning companies or businesses set an example to industry of innovation and excellence in corporate social responsibility. They will be awarded the opportunity to share their experiences with government, industry and the community. The award winners will be able to differentiate themselves amongst other companies and businesses with a higher level of credibility. Most importantly, businesses will highlight their respect for the community in which they operate and the broader South Australian community.
In addition, entering the awards provides an opportunity to:
- Receive recognition for your business policies that aim to:
- improve workforce inclusion
- support communities
- demonstrate leadership in employing women
- Evaluate your business and community engagement planning
- Gain feedback on your implementation of corporate social responsibility strategies
- Highlight opportunities for further growth in corporate social responsibility activities
- Increase media and brand awareness
- Increase internal awareness and interest across your business
- Help others make informed choices when considering your business as a potential employer or business partner
The winner of each award will receive a framed certificate signed by the Premier, an electronic certificate and the rights to the use of a logo pertaining to the award category won that can be used on websites and on marketing material.
Conditions of entry
The following conditions of entry applied to all applicants:
- Closing date for entries was 5.00 pm Friday 7 April 2017.
- Shortlisted award applicants were called for a presentation to the Judging Panel and were required to provide an electronic copy of their presentation.
- Applicants may have been asked to provide further documentation or evidence to support their claims and to provide non-confidential details and/or photographs for publicity purposes pertaining to the Awards.
- Applicants acknowledged that the Department of the Premier and Cabinet may distribute media releases regarding the outcomes of the Awards.
Judging and awards ceremony
The judging panel comprised representatives from industry, government and community organisations.
The judges looked for passion and demonstrated commitment by companies to improving social wellbeing and participation at the local and/or regional level, with a clear recognition of its ongoing importance to delivering sustainable resource projects.
Entrants were encouraged to focus on outcomes achieved over the year in question or as a milestone event for a long running program.
The judging panel made recommendations on the winning applicants to the Premier after assessing the written application and presentation to the panel. The Premier’s decision on the winner of each award is final.
The awards ceremony
The awards were presented by the Premier of South Australia at the SACOME Together Annual Event on 26 May 2017.
Contact for more information
Resource Policy and Engagement Branch
Mineral Resources Division
Department for Energy and Mining
Phone: +61 8 8463 3317