South Australia will be the leading contributor to Australia becoming the world's third largest copper producer
Achievements to June 2018
Since South Australia's Copper Strategy was launched in February 2016 there has been significant progress towards achieving the action themes that support the vision of 1 million tonnes per annum of copper.
South Australia's Copper Scorecard to June 2018 presents:
- The achievements of the Action Themes
- Action Theme 1: Exploration, discovery and information
- Action Theme 2: Developing innovative infrastructure, services and research
- Action Theme 3: Building industry and community capacity
- The Copper Scorecard, developed to
- track industry progress across the value-chain, and
- inform Copper Strategy directions
Download the Copper Strategy Achievements to June 2018 report (PDF 1.1 MB)
South Australia’s Copper Strategy was launched on 23 February 2016. The Strategy outlines the plan to triple the State’s copper production to 1 million tonnes per year within the next two decades and ensure the South Australian community benefits from this increase.
The Copper Strategy has been a collaborative effort with input from industry, research institutions, community groups and Aboriginal representatives.
The Strategy targets accelerating exploration and discovery, improved productivity and efficiency through innovation and maximising community engagement to guarantee continued public support for the resources sector.
Why a copper strategy?
Copper has a key role in the 21st Century. The efficiency of copper aids sustainable construction in a rapidly urbanising world and is important in mitigating the effects of climate change.
A copper strategy that:
- accelerates exploration leading to increased production
- supports research and development leading to innovations
- makes the industry more efficient
will ensure South Australia reaps the full potential of its natural resources in a coordinated way that benefits everyone in the community. The strategy will also have spill-over benefits for South Australians - regional communities and the next generation of South Australians seeking a high-skilled career in the mineral and mining services industries all stand to benefit.
- Industry and research institutions were invited to join with the South Australian Government at a copper summit on 6 May 2015 to discuss the challenges, opportunities and actions needed to raise South Australia’s total copper production to support Australia becoming the world’s third largest copper producer.
- Feedback from the copper summit was used to develop a consultation directions paper - South Australian copper summit feedback (PDF)
- The resultant consultation directions paper outlined six focus areas for consideration and was made available to all stakeholders, including the public, for comment.
- Copper strategy workshops were held in Port Augusta and Adelaide during October 2015 to consider the six focus areas and help develop practical actions for inclusion in the copper strategy.
- South Australia's Copper Strategy was launched on 23 February 2016.
For more information, contact:
Director, Resource Information
Mineral Resources Division
Department for Energy and Mining
Phone: +61 (8) 8429 2477
Mobile: +61 (0) 422 007 059