Update 3 August 2020
Package one of the consultation program, including draft regulations and supporting documents has now been released.
This web page provides information on the Department for Energy and Mining (DEM) process to finalise the draft mining regulations. The mining regulations are required to support the Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Act 2019 (hereafter Mining Act), which was passed on 17 October 2019.
In response to guidelines to contain the spread of the COVID-19 virus, engagement and consultation will focus on digital delivery, using tools such as videos, webinars and online meetings. These online channels will enable DEM to obtain input via submissions on the draft regulations while maintaining health protocols currently in force.
On this page
Engagement and consultation program
The engagement and consultation program will include:
- Draft regulations to be released in three separately themed packages
- Package one: Land access
- Package two: Compliance and enforcement
- Package three: Operating approvals
- Background information to support stakeholders in the writing of submissions
- Guidance materials: Key changes in the draft regulations, includes summaries of changes that were finalised in the revised Act
- Explanatory documents: Detailed description of the updated Act and draft regulations
- Supporting materials: Including draft non-regulatory documents providing an understanding of how the regulatory framework will function and DEM's existing mineral guidelines, policies and information sheets
- Three webinars providing stakeholders an opportunity to hear from the Department for Energy and Mining's technical experts and submit your questions
- Online meetings hosted by technical experts involved with the development of the draft regulations
- Two online meetings hosted by the Hon Dan van Holst Pellekaan MP, Minister for Energy and Mining
The opportunity to provide a submission on the draft mining regulations will begin on Monday 3 August 2020 and conclude on Friday 11 September 2020.
Package topics and supporting information
Package one: land access
Package two: compliance and enforcement
Package three: operating approvals
|Release date||Monday 3 August 2020||Monday 10 August 2020||Monday 17 August 2020|
|Explanatory video||To be released on Monday 10 August||To be released on Monday 17 August|
Tuesday 4 August, 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
Rergistrations now closed
Tuesday 11 August, 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
Note: Registrations close at 2:00 PM Monday 10 August
Tuesday 18 August, 2:00 PM to 3:30 PM
Note: Registrations close at 2:00 PM Monday 17 August
|Draft mining regulations||Draft mining regulations 2020 (PDF)|
To be released on Monday 10 August
|To be released on Monday 17 August|
|Guidance materials||Guidance materials package one: land access (PDF 124 KB)||To be released on Monday 10 August 2020||To be released on Monday 17 August 2020|
|Explanatory documents||To be released on Monday 10 August 2020||To be released on Monday 17 August 2020|
||To be released on Monday 10 August 2020||To be released on Monday 17 August 2020|
As part of the consultation, the Department for Energy and Mining is offering a series of 60 minute online meetings (maximum of 15 people per meeting). The meetings have been arranged to cater for stakeholders throughout the day so they can access information to support them in developing a submission.
Hear from the Minister
The Hon Dan van Holst Pellekaan MP, Minister for Energy and Mining will hold two online information sessions:
- Session 1: overview of the draft mining regulations and your opportunities to make a submission
Held on Monday 3 August 2020
- Session 2: update and discussion of some of the themes that came from the consultation period
Monday 14 September 2:00 PM to 2:30 PM
Register for session 2
Making a submission on the draft regulations
The consultation period will be seeking input on the draft regulations required to support the Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Act 2019 (hereafter Mining Act).
Note that submissions on the draft mining regulations need to be on the draft mining regulations - DEM cannot consider new issues or topics outside the scope of the updated Mining Act.
Submissions can be lodged by:
- using the online Mining regulations submission form or the South Australian Government's YourSAy platform, or
- downloading a Mining regulations submission form (DOCX), completing it online and either
- sending the saved form via email to DEM.MiningRegs@sa.gov.au, or
- printing the saved form and posting it to: Mining Regulations Submission Form, Resource Policy and Engagement, Department for Energy and Mining, GPO Box 320, Adelaide, SA 5000
If you need help completing your submission form, email DEM.MiningRegs@sa.gov.au for technical assistance.
After receiving submissions on the draft regulations, the Department will carefully consider any refinements on the drafted regulation before their completion.
2020 Mining regulations development process
The Mining Act
In 2016 the Department for Energy and Mining led a major review of South Australia's mining laws. Multiple engagement sessions in a variety of forums across the state helped finalise the Mining Act, with over 130 submissions considered.
- Read the Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Act 2019
- Summary of key amendments to the updated Mining Act (PDF)
- More information about the Mining Act review process, including discussion papers and documents issued
The Department is now developing the mining regulations that sit beneath the revised Mining Act which will commence in January 2021.
The regulations outline how the provisions of the Mining Act are applied.
By law, the regulations cannot bring up new issues and topics outside the scope of the Act, and need to be written in a way that explains how the Act will operate and how DEM will regulate mining in our state.
Regulations engagement process
Engaging with stakeholders is necessary to ensure that the draft regulations carefully consider issues from a variety of viewpoints.
In August 2020, DEM will release draft regulations in three packages for the public and interested groups to provide feedback via a submission form on the topics included. You can comment on all, or just one or more, specific topics of the draft regulations - it's up to you.
How will your feedback influence the final regulations?
Feedback will be collated and considered by DEM and regularly reported back to interested people and groups on the key themes and input received.
All public submissions will be considered. Although feedback on the regulations will not automatically be included in the final regulations, your feedback provides an opportunity to recommend and inform changes to improve the draft regulations.
Where the input aligns with the Mining Act and the DEM Strategic Direction 2018 to 2021, and is considered to improve the draft regulations towards more effective and efficient implementation of the Mining Act, DEM will consider the suggested input.
DEM will publish online updates on the draft regulations as the year progresses. To stay in touch with this project, please register your interest to receive future updates.
How you can participate?
Comments with your input on the draft regulations need to be made via the submission form which will be provided on this website and the South Australian Government's YourSAy website, an online consultation hub where you can provide feedback on consultations open across the South Australian government.
We will be directly seeking your feedback following the release of the draft regulations in August 2020. You can respond by either:
- Registering your interest to receive updates and information on the draft mining regulations and the engagement program, including reminders of when consultation on particular topics will be opening.
- When draft regulations are released, download a submission form from this website or the South Australian Government YourSAy website, fill it in and email or post the completed form to us.
Process flow chart
- Mining Regulations Submission Form
Resource Policy and Engagement
Department for Energy and Mining
GPO Box 320
Adelaide SA 5001
- Email: DEM.MiningRegs@sa.gov.au