Update 14 September 2020
Public consultation on the draft mining regulations has now closed. The Department received over 50 submissions, provided by a diverse variety of stakeholders across the state.
Submissions will now be carefully considered by the Department in relation to the strategic intent of the updated Mining Act, and how the feedback received can add value and align with the intent of the overall regulatory reform.
We will continue to provide updates on progress and how to access further information prior to the release of the new mining regulations on 1 January 2021.
Thank you for your support in providing comment on the draft regulations.
This web page provides information on the Department for Energy and Mining (DEM) process to finalise the draft mining regulations. The mining regulations are required to support the Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Act 2019 (hereafter Mining Act), which was passed on 17 October 2019.
On this page
Engagement and consultation program
The engagement and consultation program included:
- Draft regulations released in three separately themed packages
- Package one: Land access
- Package two: Compliance and enforcement
- Package three: Operating approvals
- Background information to support stakeholders in the writing of submissions
- Guidance materials: Key changes in the draft regulations, includes summaries of changes that were finalised in the revised Act
- Explanatory documents: Detailed description of the updated Act and draft regulations
- Supporting materials: Including draft non-regulatory documents providing an understanding of how the regulatory framework will function and DEM's existing mineral guidelines, policies and information sheets
- Three webinars providing stakeholders an opportunity to hear from the Department for Energy and Mining's technical experts and submit your questions
- Online meetings hosted by technical experts involved with the development of the draft regulations
- Two online meetings hosted by the Hon Dan van Holst Pellekaan MP, Minister for Energy and Mining
The opportunity to provide a submission on the draft mining regulations began on Monday 3 August 2020 and concluded on Friday 11 September 2020.
Package topics and supporting information
Package one: land access
Package two: compliance and enforcement
Package three: operating approvals
|Release date||Monday 3 August 2020||Monday 10 August 2020||Monday 17 August 2020|
|Draft mining regulations|
2020 Mining regulations development process
The Mining Act
In 2016 the Department for Energy and Mining led a major review of South Australia's mining laws. Multiple engagement sessions in a variety of forums across the state helped finalise the Mining Act, with over 130 submissions considered.
- Read the Statutes Amendment (Mineral Resources) Act 2019
- Summary of key amendments to the updated Mining Act (PDF)
- More information about the Mining Act review process, including discussion papers and documents issued
The Department is now developing the mining regulations that sit beneath the revised Mining Act which will commence in January 2021.
The regulations outline how the provisions of the Mining Act are applied.
By law, the regulations cannot bring up new issues and topics outside the scope of the Act, and need to be written in a way that explains how the Act will operate and how DEM will regulate mining in our state.
Regulations engagement process
Engaging with stakeholders is necessary to ensure that the draft regulations carefully consider issues from a variety of viewpoints.
In August 2020, DEM released draft regulations in three packages for the public and interested groups to provide feedback via a submission form on the topics included.
How will feedback influence the final regulations?
Feedback will be collated and considered by DEM.
All public submissions will be considered. Although feedback on the regulations will not automatically be included in the final regulations, your feedback provides an opportunity to recommend and inform changes to improve the draft regulations.
Where the input aligns with the Mining Act and the DEM Strategic Direction 2018 to 2021, and is considered to improve the draft regulations towards more effective and efficient implementation of the Mining Act, DEM will consider the suggested input.
DEM will publish online updates on the draft regulations as the year progresses. To stay in touch with this project, please register your interest to receive future updates.
How you can participate?
Comments with your input on the draft regulations need to be made via the submission form which will be provided on this website and the South Australian Government's YourSAy website, an online consultation hub where you can provide feedback on consultations open across the South Australian government.
We will be directly seeking your feedback following the release of the draft regulations in August 2020. You can respond by either:
- Registering your interest to receive updates and information on the draft mining regulations and the engagement program, including reminders of when consultation on particular topics will be opening.
- When draft regulations are released, download a submission form from this website or the South Australian Government YourSAy website, fill it in and email or post the completed form to us.
Process flow chart
- Mining Regulations Submission Form
Resource Policy and Engagement
Department for Energy and Mining
GPO Box 320
Adelaide SA 5001
- Email: DEM.MiningRegs@sa.gov.au